Wednesday, January 25, 2012

WIP/Modeling update: Doomsday Device

So i was invited to an apoc game with some friends about a year ago. Now this was an epicly huge game, aprox 150k+ worth of points on a 6' x 20' table. Now I've got about maybe 8k worth of crap that I can throw together. Fortunately my friend linked me to a site with a bunch of pdfs that have all sorts of apoc formations an crap, this is where I found the DDD, and thus fell in love with it. Now for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about I'll explain. It's basicly an immobile super heavy with 3 structure points that you first have to activate, once activated you roll on a chart to see what kind f shot you get that shooting phase, things like Heavy D6 SD AP1 shots, S* AP3 Apoc barrage 4, or simple being a dud, or possibly blowing itself up. No as crazy as it might sound, well it is. During this first game I took 4, but with work and a little girl I was hard pressed for time to construct them and in the end used cans. I was thus chewed out by all my friends there, and rightly so. Well this year we're having a much smaller game and I have ample warning and time. So this is my WIP blog about constucting 1 hopefully more.

Now thee fun part about doomsday devices is that there is no model, nor any rules on what it should look like or its dimensions, etc. In theory you could make one as big as you wanted, but thats not realistic and probably wouldn't go over well. I've looked up alot of different pictures online and there are some sweet constructions out there, but I'm not to fond of the idea that this is a machine. I'm really into Slaanesh, more hardcore then I think anyone should be. I love the idea of the chaos powers culminating togther and striking down enemies with raw warp power. So I decided to go with the idea of altars, or idols of sorts, something that the powers can use as a icon in the real space world. More like the attacks that these things shoot out is the wrath of slaanesh culminating upon said altar and being directed by some sorcerer whos performing some ritual.

That being stated, I went through anything and everything I could get my hands on to start building something that I liked and could pass as one of these chaos altars. What I found was a bunch of skulls and cauldrens from the haloween direcorations. But to me it was too khorne, the skulls at least, so how could I make this Slaaneshi? Well I grabbed a blank cd and glued 6 of them around it, then stuck the pot on top. I was slightly inspired by the cauldren of blood from the Dark Elves, ya know just a wee bit . I used spackle to fill in the gaps. Then put on 6 spikes, draped chains around it (all my noise marines have chains, ya know kinky stuff) and then glued on rocks to base it a bit. I wanted this to look like a place of sacred sacrifice, something that was built where ever i place it on the board and had been there for awhile. Not a machine dropped from orbit. So anyway, heres what i looks like so far, hope you enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment